Wednesday, January 9, 2013

On motherhood and spirituality

I was reading in Enos last night for my scripture study.  I have always loved the book of Enos, not only because you feel great that you read a whole book in one reading but because I always feel the need to improve when I read it...in an uplifting way.  But last night all I could think as I read was how great would it be to have the freedom/time to go and just pray for that long without feeling rushed?  As a mom I feel like my scripture study is hurried as I squeeze it in before bed or whenever.  My journal is chalk full of spiritual experiences  I had in high school and college, most of which I have forgotten about.  I remember taking the time to ponder, pray and just think while walking to classes in college.  I miss that.  I miss being able to let my mind wander and ponder as I walk to class instead of  making sure Lexi doesn't get run over in the parking lot while walking into Walmart.  And where are all the awesome spiritual experiences I imagined having with my kids?  I especially wonder about those parents of 3+ kids.  How do you do it?  I know you moms (and dads) out there are doing some things right that I could do better.  So...

How do you personally maintain and increase the Spirit in your life as a parent?
How do you help incorporate the Spirit into your parenting in a natural, everyday way?    

6 comments:

Debra said...

Sometimes I think you have the Spirit and you know it not. The Lord is blessing you as you try your best to raise your sweet little children.

Michelleo said...

I think brain fuzz and tiredness can make some radio static when it comes to hearing the spirit. It's taken a lot of years to figure out how to work around those disabilities (which are inevitable when raising kids) and figure out where you're going to still receive major spiritual revelation. I have four now and I'm constantly busy but I've found myself more capable than ever in my life to receive more

Michelleo said...

Serious revelation and closeness to the spirit. I find mine through reading my scripts every day (even tho many days I don't think deeply, it has created a spark that doesn't flicker, like keeping the pilot light on a heater lit) and delving into callings where I have a mantle and the lords guaranteed help to learn what I need to learn, in visiting the temple and surprisingly keeping my house clean! Weird huh?

Michelleo said...

For me, a clean house clears the craziness from my head and I can feel peace and let go and remember that I want the company of the spirit. So finding what circumstances in your home that create peace and calm, making it a setting that is a refuge and a little Zion. It may mean filling your closet with chocolate :)

DeVries Fam said...

I like what both mom and Michelle said, and I would say the same thing as mom. You may not have as much time anymore to just sit and read and ponder all day, but I feel like I have so many more opportunities to apply what I'm learning. Sometimes I will be reading on a certain topic like charity or patience or love and feel really inspired. Then I run off to take care of my kids and Benson decides to throw a temper tantrum in the middle of the grocery store. At those moments, it helps me to remember what I learned earlier that day and that this would be a great opportunity to apply those things. You already recognize this, but as a mom you really don't have as much time to study. But, you have all day and almost all night (sometimes) to apply the principles that Christ teaches and become like Him. That's our goal anyway, right? To become like Him.
Also, I really like what Michelle said about keeping a clean house. It's really hard for me to do it, but since I have a husband who is kind of OCD about it, I try hard to get it done. When my house is organized and clean,it is so much easier for me to feel and recognize the spirit. I know my kids feel it too.

Miller family said...

Elder Holland gave a talk on motherhood where he talked about how difficult it is sometimes, and it's designed to bring us to our knees and closer to our Heavenly Father. I only have one child so far, but I've felt much closer to my Heavenly Father when I'm pleading for strength to go on and ideas on how to help my daughter sleep/eat/do whatever she's struggling with then. But let me know if you figure out how to have meaningful scripture study with kids; it's always so rushed!